So your team has asked you to set up a custom domain and enable SSL for their new Uberflip Hub...here's what you need to know:
Your company's new Hub will be hosted at a subdomain of your main domain. The process involves creating a CNAME DNS record with your domain registration service provider that points to read.uberflip.com.
If you would like to enable SSL for the subdomain, you have two options. You can use your own SSL certificate or our Uberflip multi-user certificate.
Custom Domain Setup Instructions
The steps required to setup your CNAME record will depend on your hosting service provider (ex. GoDaddy.com). When in doubt, check with your provider for additional help or instructions.
- Create a subdomain on the root domain, for example, 'resources' (resources.examplecompany.com). The subdomain name will be provided by your Marketing team.
- Have your domain provider create a CNAME record for the subdomain that points to the hostname 'read.uberflip.com' (this will always be 'read.uberflip.com').
If you want to test if your CNAME record was created properly, you can visit WHATSMYDNS and enter your custom domain in the format 'subdomain.yourwebsite.com'.
- Type in your Custom Domain (ex. resources.examplecompany.com);
- Select 'CNAME' from the drop-down menu (instead of 'A');
- Click Search;
- All of the servers should have 'read.uberflip.com' as the result. It should look exactly like the results below (all records listed should point to 'read.uberflip.com')
Once the custom domain is set up, let your Marketing team know and your Uberflip team can take care of the rest!
Adding SSL to your Hub (HTTPS)
If you would like to add SSL to the new subdomain (which we recommend if it is enabled for your main website), you can use your own SSL certificate or our Uberflip multi-user certificate.
1. Using the Uberflip Multi-User Certificate:
If you would like to use our Uberflip multi-user SSL certificate, this can be requested by the Hub owner through our app (more instructions here) or by emailing your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include the URL for your Hub in your email request.
We aim to fulfill all SSL requests within 5 business days.
2. If you prefer to use your own SSL certificate:
To be able to use your own SSL certificate for your Hub, we will need you to:
Prepare a PEM file which includes the private key, certificate key, and certificate bundle keys (if applicable).
Share that PEM file with the Uberflip Support team (through Google Drive or a secure file sharing tool that you trust). You can connect with your Marketing Team about who their main point of contact is or email email@example.com.
More information about preparing the PEM file and sharing the file with our Support team can be found here.
Once SSL is Turned ON
Once SSL is turned on, any HTTP links will automatically redirect to HTTPS. This is important as it will prevent any 'duplicate content' problems from an SEO perspective. Additionally, all embed codes will need to be re-generated after SSL is turned on.
Questions, comments, concerns? CONTACT US!