Recommendations make it easy for marketers to fuse the art of marketing with the science of artificial intelligence. The end result? Deeper content engagement, more personalized content experiences, and accelerated sales cycles for marketers and salespeople.
Included in this post:
- What are Recommendations?
- How to create Recommendation Templates
- How to create Recommendation Rules
- Recommendation Rules best practices
Recommendations are a key part of Uberflip AI and make it easy to boost visitor engagement. Recommendations tap into an intelligent, AI-powered content recommendation engine to serve up exactly the right content that matches the needs and interests of your audiences across the entire buyer’s journey.
Recommendations have two core components that work hand-in-hand:
(1) Recommendation Templates
(2) Recommendation Rules
Templates control the look, feel, and location (i.e. left panel, next/previous article) of the Recommendations, while Rules control which content is Recommended to visitors and how that content is ultimately chosen to be Recommended (using A.I. or a manually selected by a marketer).
Follow the steps below to get started with Recommendations.
With Recommendations, it's easy to create customized Templates to control how content Recommendations are displayed inside your Hub.
You might want to create a Template for specific Stream types, such as eBooks, Whitepapers, or your Marketing Streams, or to differentiate top of the funnel content from bottom of the funnel content. Ultimately, all Recommendation Rules must be associated with a specific Template so it's a good idea to spend a few minutes thinking through the design of your Templates before you create any Recommendation Rules.
Note: There is a Default Template that is automatically used by new Recommendation Rules or by Recommendation Rules that have had their previously specified Template deleted. This Default Template cannot be edited or deleted.
To create your own customized Templates for Recommendations, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Click the "+ New Template" button in the in the menu bar near the top of the screen.
Step 2: Give the new Recommendation Template a "Name" and a "Description" that are easy to remember and describe where the Recommendation Rule should be used (i.e. in which Streams within your Hub). The Name and Description are only visible to your team, so feel free to get as descriptive as possible. When you're done, click the "Add Template" button.
Step 3: Once you've created the Template, click the "Display Options" tab to start customizing how the Recommendations will appear in the Hub. Each option is outlined in more detail below.
- Max Item to Display - Control how many Items will display in the Recommendation elements of the Hub. The default number of Items is always set to 3.
- Max Item Age - Set a limit, in terms of the number of days since the publish date, on which Items can appear in recommendations. This is a great way to ensure that only recent, relevant content is recommended to your visitors.
- Enable Panel - Enable the "pop out" recommendations panel
- Panel Top - If you've enabled the Recommendations Panel, you can control its positioning, in number of pixels, from the top of your Hub's menu to ensure there is no overlap the user experience is optimized. If you're not a developer or unsure of how this will impact your Hub, please contact your Customer Success Coach or Uberflip Support.
- Min Page Width - If you're using the Recommendations Panel, set a limit on the screen size, in number of pixels, in which the Panel will appear to create an optimal user experience for your Hub visitors. The default will be set to 1,000px.
- Panel Delay - If you're using the Recommendations Panel, you can also set a Panel Delay, in number of seconds, to allow your visitors to consume a piece of content for a set duration before recommendations appear.
- Override Next/Carousel - On screens that are too small for the Panel to appear, allow the Recommendations to override the standard Next/Carousel found at the bottom of Items in a Hub. It is highly recommended this option be enabled
Step 4 - Click on the "Labels" tab to customize the label that appears as part of the Recommendations template. This label will appear above the Items that are recommended to visitors.
That's it! You've created a Recommendation Template that can now be used with any Recommendation Rules you might create. Remember, there's no limit on the number of Recommendation Templates you can create and use in your Hub.
Note: To simplify the process of creating future Recommendation Templates, you can click the expandable menu in the top right corner of the screen to "Copy Template". Click on "Delete Template" to remove any Templates that are no longer necessary.
Recommendation Rules control which content is ultimately Recommended to visitors to your Hub and how that content is chosen to be Recommended (through A.I. or being manually selected for display by a marketer). Follow the steps outlined below to create new Recommendation Rules in your Hub.
Step 1 - Click the "+ New Rule" button in the menu bar near the top of the screen.
Step 2 - Give the new Recommendation Rule a "Name" and a "Description" that are easy to remember and describe where the Recommendation Rule does. The Name and Description are only visible to your team, so feel free to get as descriptive as possible. When you're done, click the "Add Rule" button.
Step 3 - On the "Rule Info" tab, double check your Recommendation Rule's Name and Description and make sure the Rule is Enabled. You can also keep the Recommendation Rule disabled and enable it at a later date.
Step 4 - Click into the "Placement" tab. This is where you'll select a Recommendation Template to be used and configure where in your Hub that Template will display recommendations. To get started, select a Template from the drop down menu. In the screenshot below, we've selected the same "Template A" that was created earlier in this article.
Step 5 - Once you've selected your Template, it's time to decide where in your Hub the recommendations will display. There are two options:
- Any Stream - Recommendations using the selected Template will appear on all Streams within a Hub.
- Select Streams - Recommendations using the selected Template will appear only on Streams that are hand selected (select as many as you wish). You may want to do this to ensure any previously orchestrated content journeys in your Marketing Streams remain intact.
In the screenshot below, we've chosen to only show Recommendations using Template A on the eBooks Stream.
If multiple Streams are selected, they will appear underneath the "Select Streams" drop down as they are selected.
Step 6 - Once you've configured where your recommendations will appear, it's time to decide how the recommendations will be powered - through art (the marketer) or science (AI). On the "Recommended Content" tab, you can choose to power recommendations using:
- A.I. Engine - Uberflip AI automatically recommends content to your visitors based on what they're most likely to engage with (you can read more about how Uberflip knows what your visitors are interested in this article here). Using Uberflip AI is a proven way to dramatically increase content engagement within your Hub.
- Single Stream Source - Manually select a single Stream of content from your Hub to display in recommendations. For example, you may want to recommend only gated eBooks to your visitors to help drive lead generation.
In the screenshot below, we've selected to use the Uberflip AI Engine to power the recommendations. If AI is selected, your Recommendation Rule is complete.
If you have selected the "Single Stream Source" option, you'll be prompted to select a Stream from a drop down list. For example, in the screenshot below we're recommending only the latest content from our Slideshare Stream.
Step 7 - The final step is to configure the "Order" of the Recommendations Rules that you've created. By rule, Recommendation Rules with a lower "Order" number (i.e. 1) will take precedence over Recommendation Rules with a higher "Order" number (i.e. 2). In the screenshot below, the "eBook Stream Recommendations" Recommendation Rule would control the Recommendations on the eBook Stream only, while the "Catch All" Recommendation Rule would control the Recommendations on all other Streams within a Hub.
Creating broad Recommendation Rules that appear on all Streams within your Hub is a fantastic way to drive deeper engagement and highly recommended. However, it's also a good idea to create unique Recommendation Rules for key Streams of content within your Hub. By configuring a proper "Order", you can ensure you're creating an optimized mix of Recommendations that will help you to achieve your engagement and lead generation goals.
Note: As a best practice, it's a good idea to create a "Catch All" Recommendation Rule to power general recommendations across your Hub. Using "Uberflip A.I" to power the recommendations is also highly recommended. Ensure the "Catch All" is the lowest order priority when you've created it (you'll know it's the lowest priority as it will be the last Rule in the list when sorting by "Order").
That's it! Your Recommendation Rule is now live and within a few days will start to recommend content to your Hub's visitors.
Have questions, concerns, or comments? Please contact Uberflip's Customer Success Team at 1 (888) 694-2946 x 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.