When you greet visitors with relevant content at the point when they are most attentive, you can increase engagement, encourage self-nurturing and accelerate their buyer journey. With Uberflip Site Engager you’ll be able to automatically pull from existing content in your Uberflip Hub and display it to visitors in the form of content recommendations.
- What is the Site Engager?
- How to install your Site Engager
- How to create Site EngagerTemplates
- How to create Site Engager Rules
- Site Engager Rules best practices
What is Uberflip Site Engager?
The Site Engager is a new embed tool that is designed to leverage Uberflip’s Recommendation Engine in order to serve up content recommendations on your website. The recommendations that are displayed can be curated using Rules and Templates, or they can leverage the power of Uberflip AI to boost visitor engagement by serving up content that matches the needs and interests of your audiences based on their intent.
Note: The Site Engager is available to all Uberflip customers, while Uberflip AI is only included in our Enterprise packs. If you’re currently not on an Enterprise pack and would like to leverage Uberflip AI, please contact your Account Executive or Customer Success Coach.
Recommendations have two core components that work hand-in-hand:
Templates control the look, feel, and location of the recommendations (i.e. promo tile position, a label for exit intent, timers, color etc.).
Rules control which content is recommended to visitors and how that content is chosen to be recommended (using AI or manual Stream selected by a marketer).
Follow the steps below to get started with the Site Engager.
Installing the Site Engager
To access the embed script for your Site Engager, click “Website Tools” in the left-hand menu, then select the tab labeled “Embed Script”. Copy and paste that unique code inside the <body> tag of your website pages.
Creating Site Engager Templates
It's easy to create customized Templates to control how content recommendations are displayed throughout your website. For example, you might want to create a Template for specific product pages vs. your pricing page.
Ultimately, all Site Engager Rules must be associated with a specific Template so it's a good idea to spend a few minutes thinking through the design of your Templates before you create any Rules.
Note: There is a Default Template that is automatically used by new website rules and rules that have had their template deleted.
To create your own customized Templates, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Click the "+ New Template" button in the menu bar near the top of the screen.
Step 2: Give the new Site Engager Template a "Name" and a "Description" that is easy to understand and describes how the tool will look, where it will be used, etc. The Name and Description are only visible to your team, so feel free to get as descriptive as possible. When you're done, click the "Add Template" button.
Step 3: Once you've created the Template, click the "Display Options" tab to start customizing how the Recommendations will appear on your website. Each option is outlined in more detail below.
- Max Item to Display - Control how many Items will display in the viewer when a visitor clicks on a recommended item. The default number of Items is always set to 3.
- Max Item Age - Set a limit on how old you want your recommended items to be, based on the number of days since it was published. This is a great way to ensure that only recent, relevant content is recommended to your visitors.
- Enable Promo Tile - Enabling this will display the first of your recommended items as a Promo Tile at the bottom of your web page.
- Promo Tile Position - You can choose to display your promo tile in the bottom right or left corner.
- Enable Exit Intent Popup - This option allows you to display the first recommended item as a pop-up in the middle of the screen. This is triggered when visitors begin to move their cursor towards the “Back” or “X” buttons at the top of their browser, signaling that they are about to abandon your page.
- Max. Close per Session - This sets the maximum number of times you want to display recommendations after a visitor has dismissed them, during a single session.
- Brand Color - This allows you to pick a single brand color that will be used to accent your recommendations and viewer.
- Z-Index - This allows you to adjust the Z-index of the website tiles and viewer to place them above all other content on your page. Useful if you have other widgets active on the page.
- Show Promo Delay - Choose how many seconds you would like to pass before displaying the Promo Tile to a new page visitor.
- Scroll Stopped - As a user scrolls down your page, the Promo Tile will shrink. This setting tells the system how long to wait before enlarging the tile, once a visitor has stopped scrolling.
- Show Next/Prev Delay - This sets the amount of time to delay showing the previous/next tiles after the content viewer has loaded.
- Show Promo Again - The amount of time to delay before showing the promo tile again after the user has dismissed it.
- Show Exit Again - The amount of time to delay before showing the exit intent pop-up again after the user has dismissed one already.
Step 4 - Click on the "Labels" tab to customize the default labels that appear on your Promo Tiles, Exit Intent Pop-up and Content Viewer.
That's it! You've created a Site Engager Template that can now be used with any Recommendation Rules. Remember, there's no limit on the number of Templates you can create and use on your website.
Note: To simplify the process of creating future Site Engager Templates, you can click the "Copy Template" on the expandable menu in the top right corner of the screen. Click on "Delete Template" to remove any Templates that are no longer necessary.
Creating Site Engager Rules
Rules control which content is recommended to visitors on your Website and how that content is chosen to be recommended (through AI or manually via Stream selection). Follow the steps outlined below to create new Recommendation Rules in your Hub.
Step 1 - Click the "+ New Rule" button in the menu bar near the top of the screen.
Step 2 - Give the new rule a "Name" and a "Description" that are easy to understand and describes what the rule does. The Name and Description are only visible to your team, so feel free to get as descriptive as possible. When you're done, click the "Add Rule" button.
Step 3 - On the "Rule Info" tab, double check your Site Engager Rule's “Name” and “Description” and make sure the Rule is Enabled. You can also keep the Rule disabled and enable it at a later date.
Step 4 - Click on the "Placement" tab. This is where you'll select a Template to be used and configure where on your website that Template will display recommendations. To get started, select a Template from the drop-down menu.
Step 5 - Once you've selected your Template, it's time to decide where on your Website the tile recommendations will display. There are three options:
- Any Page - Recommendations using the selected Template will appear on all pages of your website.
- Page URL includes - Recommendations using the selected Template will appear only on pages that have URLs that include specific paths or directories.
- Page URL Is Exactly - Recommendations using the selected Template will appear on the page matching the URL exactly.
Step 6 - Once you've configured where your tile will appear, it's time to decide how the tile will be powered - through art (the marketer) or science (AI). On the "Recommended Content" tab, you can choose to power recommendations using:
- A.I. Engine - Uberflip AI automatically recommends content to your visitors based on their intent (you can read more about how Uberflip knows what your visitors are interested in, here).
- Single Stream Source - Manually select a single Stream of content from your Hub that you want to display as recommended content. For example, you may want to recommend only premium content to help drive lead generation.
In the screenshot below, we've selected the Uberflip AI Engine to power the recommendations. If AI is selected, your Recommendation Rule is complete.
If you have selected the "Single Stream Source" option, you'll be prompted to select a Stream from a drop-down list. For example, in the screenshot below we're recommending only content from our Slideshare Stream.
Step 7 - The final step is to configure the "Order" of the Recommendation Rules that you've created. Rules with a lower "Order" number (i.e. 1) will take precedence over Recommendation Rules with a higher "Order" number (i.e. 2).
Creating broad Rules that appear on all pages within your Website is a fantastic way to drive deeper engagement. However, it's also a good idea to create unique Rules for key pages. You can use your rule hierarchy to ensure you're creating an optimized mix of recommendations that will help you to achieve your goals.
As a best practice, it's a good idea to create a "Catch All" rule to power general recommendations across your website. Using "Uberflip A.I" to power the recommendations is highly recommended. Ensure the "Catch All" is the lowest order priority when you've created it (you'll know it's the lowest priority as it will be the last Rule in the list when sorting by "Order").
That's it! Your Site Engager Rule is now live and within a few days will start to recommend your Hub content on your website!
Have questions, concerns, or comments? Please contact Uberflip's Customer Success Team at 1 (888) 694-2946 x 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.