Force Vectorization is now turned on by default at 400KB for all new Folders created.
When you upload a PDF, our system breaks down the objects of each PDF page and rebuilds a SWF page for view on the Flipbook Desktop Flash experience. Our system tries to find a happy medium between quality of conversion and file size to ensure optimal performance.
Sometimes this means our system needs to rasterize (convert to image copy) complex areas of the page, which sometimes produces less than optimal results (ghost lines, font display problems, pixelated areas of pages not seen in original PDF).
We have now implemented an option you can turn on/off at the folder level, which will tell our system to force convert those vector objects, within acceptable limits to make sure file sizes don't get to large and affect performance. This should lead to crisper lines on your vector graphics and less conversion problems.
Edit your Folder Options
The Force Vectorization option can be accessed by first heading to the Flipbooks screen (1) and Choose the folder you wish to edit (2), then select the blue Edit button (3)
Change your Default Parser Settings
Referring to the screenshot below
- Go to Advanced>Parser Defaults
- Select Checkbox "Force Vectorization to a maximum page size of" and choose your maximum size from the dropdown menu.
- You can choose from 400KB to 1MB
- This size defines the maximum page our system will try to create to render all vector objects
- If the attempt leads to a page that is larger than the max size defined, the system will simply convert the file as it normally would (rasterizing complex areas)
- Vectorization Engine (BETA FEATURE - Contact support if you are having troubles converting using all DPI and Force Vectorization levels)
- Choose the standard engine as a default
- Choose the alternate beta engine if you continue to see conversion problems with the standard vectorization engine. This engine references a difference conversion library that may help in some areas
- Areas the beta engine can help with include faint text, missing text, missing objects
IMPORTANT NOTES ON FORCED VECTORIZATION:
- The forced vectorization tool will only apply to future uploads (new PDF uploads or page replaces)
- If you initially see problems with an upload, you can delete the Flipbook within 12 hours of upload, to get the Upload credit back and retry with different Force Vectorization settings.
- You can also perform page replacements with vectorization turned ON to fix any conversion problems
- If you don't want to force vectorization any more, simply UNCHECK the "Force Vectorization" checkbox
Updated January 25th/2015